This online course (through the edX platform and CIRTL) introduced me to the kinds of challenges facing an ‘expert’ in a field who is trying to reach a collection of students with various skills, previous knowledge, and emotions. In fact, the growth-mindset and iterative, active learning priciples I hope to implement are the same I need to use to learn how to teach.
Some key take-aways:
- Elements of good course design include:
- Has lots of elements of active learning!
- Alignment between course objectives, activities and assessments
- Inclusively accomodate the important ways people are different
- Foster Growth-mindset:
- opportunities to improve, fix things
- focus on the process of learning
- praise students for their effort, commitment, improvement
- The final project was a fairly detailed lesson plan, which I wrote about polyprotic acid titrations.
- Writing detailed lesson plans is difficult
- I would need to teach this lesson many times to improve it
- It may not be necessary to plan every lesson to this detail; some ideas can carry-over across the course